In ecommerce, 2021 doesn’t look like it did just a few weeks ago. The industry is changing—again—and doing so rapidly. Now new forecasts from Digital Commerce 360’s research team show that 2021 will turn out to be a year unlike any other in ecommerce history.
Last year, as the pandemic altered the retail landscape, Digital Commerce 360 published its first Ecommerce Market Report. It was an extensive, insightful, and comprehensive look at everything that had happened to the industry since the pandemic began and what would happen next.
Now as change has accelerated Digital Commerce 360 has launched the all-new 2021 Ecommerce Market Report—the result of months of work by a team of seven researchers, analysts and journalists—is now available.
Here are just a handful of the facts, figures and forecasts within the 64-page report.
1) Strong holiday sales will drive total 2021 U.S. online retail sales to $886.20 billion, Digital Commerce 360 estimates: a 16.2% increase from $762.68 million in 2020 and a whopping 53.2% jump from $578.50 billion in 2019.
2) Online now accounts for about 20% of U.S. retail sales. And as Amazon and its largest rivals invest heavily in ecommerce, Digital Commerce 360 expects that number to grow even as shoppers return to stores.
3) Web-only retailers will be the fastest-growing merchant type, with a collective 29.8% hike on top of the 38.3% growth of the prior year.
4) Digital Commerce 360 estimates that digital revenue for the all-important November-December period could surpass the $200-billion mark for the first time—reaching $215.45 billion in ecommerce sales. That’s up from a revised $192.19 billion over the same two months in 2020.
5) The pandemic was an ecommerce accelerant. The U.S. ecommerce market will hit levels this year that experts didn’t expect until 2023.
Included in the 2021 Ecommerce Market Report report:
- Forecasts for 2021 holiday sales
- Data and analysis on the fastest-growing categories
- In-depth looks at marketplaces, public retailers and the IPO market
- Changes in online penetration and offline performance across retail
- Projections on who will be the Top 250 Online Retailers in 2022
- Deep dives into apparel, food/beverage and home goods
The 2021 U.S. Ecommerce Market Report is available as a downloadable PDF for $499. It is also included in our Gold and Platinum memberships, which provide full access to all of Digital Commerce 360’s published reports and certain online retailer databases. Learn more here.