5 minutes

Combined, Sunday and Small Business Saturday took a larger share of Cyber 5 online sales (26.8%) than Black Friday.

Record sales days during the Cyber 5 led to growth at nearly double the rate of 2022, according to data from Adobe Analytics.

Online sales during the Cyber 5 reached $38.0 billion, according to Adobe Analytics. That’s 7.8% higher than 2022’s $35.27 billion. Cyber 5 2022 sales increased 4% over 2021. Adobe’s data is based on 1 trillion visits to U.S. retail sites, 100 million SKUs and 18 product categories.

Thanksgiving, Black Friday and Cyber Monday online sales each broke their respective records.



“The 2023 holiday shopping season began with a lot of uncertainty, as consumers shifted their spending to services, while dealing with rising costs across different facets of their lives,” said Vivek Pandya, lead analyst at Adobe Digital Insights, in a statement. “The record online spending across Cyber Week however, shows the impact that discounts can have on consumer demand, especially with quality products that drove a lot of impulse shopping.”

Black Friday and Cyber Monday online sales statistics

Cyber Monday is still the largest online sales day in the U.S., with web sales reaching $12.4 billion in 2023, according to Adobe data. Cyber Monday 2023 online sales grew 9.6% over 2022’s $11.3 billion.

Black Friday is the second largest at $9.8 billion in online sales. That represents 7.5% growth over 2022’s $9.12 billion.


Thanksgiving online sales grew 5.5% to $5.6 billion. Saturday (also referred to as Small Business Saturday) and Sunday combined for $10.3 billion, up 7.7% year over year.

In terms of growth, Cyber Monday (9.6%) grew the most compared with 2022. Although Black Friday was the second-largest online sales day in the Cyber 5, its growth (7.5%) came in third. Saturday grew faster than Friday, at 8.1% year over year.

Share of Cyber 5 online sales

Cyber Monday took nearly a one-third share of online sales during the Cyber 5 (32.6%). Black Friday took just over a quarter (25.8%) of online sales share.

Thanksgiving took a larger share (14.8%) than either day of the weekend (Saturday took 13%, while Sunday took 13.8%). Combined, though, Saturday and Sunday took a larger share of Cyber 5 online sales (26.8%) than Black Friday.

Record number of shoppers over Cyber 5

Consumers shopped both online and in physical stores throughout the Cyber 5 period, according to the annual survey that the National Retail Federation and Prosper Insights & Analytics released.


121.4 million people visited physical retail locations to browse items and make in-store purchases, the NRF said. It added that the figure is consistent with 122.7 million in-store shoppers in 2022. Online shoppers totaled 134.2 million, according to the NRF, which is up from 130.2 million last year.

“Shoppers exceeded our expectations with a robust turnout,” said NRF president and CEO Matthew Shay.

Shopping by channel during the Cyber 5 period

Thanksgiving “set a new bar” for mobile shopping, according to Adobe Analytics. 59% of Thanksgiving online sales came from a smartphone, compared with 55% in 2022.

And mobile shopping carried on strong. 51.8% of Cyber 5 online sales came from smartphones. That’s up from 49.9% during the 2022 Cyber 5 period.


Meanwhile, fewer shoppers used curbside pickup during the Cyber 5 this year. Shoppers used the omnichannel fulfillment method in 12.7% of online orders from Thanksgiving through Cyber Monday, according to Adobe. That’s a decrease from 14.8% last year.

At the same time, shoppers leveraged standard shipping for 80% of Cyber 5 online orders this year.

Do you rank in our database?

Submit your data with this quick survey and we’ll see where you fit in our next ranking update.

Sign up

Stay on top of the latest developments in the ecommerce industry. Sign up for a complimentary subscription to Digital Commerce 360 Retail NewsFollow us on LinkedInTwitter and Facebook. Be the first to know when Digital Commerce 360 publishes news content.