Who says Amazon.com Inc. has all the fun on Prime Day?
An Internet Retailer analysis of the 100 largest non-Amazon online retailers in North America found that 47 have tried to capitalize on the Prime Day hype by offering a limited sale on Tuesday to coincide with Amazon’s third annual Prime Day or using “prime” in emails to grab shoppers’ attention.
Amazon launched Prime Day in 2015 as a way for retailer to celebrate its 20th anniversary. Now in its third year, Prime Day has grown into a retail industry event wherein other retailers launch competing promotions in the hopes of attracting online shoppers whose interest is heightened due to the deals offered by Amazon.
Retailers looking to steal a sliver of Amazon’s thunder on Prime Day weren’t limited to a specific category. Internet Retailer’s analysis showed that retailers specializing in everything from apparel to ammunition and electronics to eyewear tried their hand at drawing shoppers away from Amazon, No. 1 in the Internet 2017 Retailer Top 500, on Tuesday. Some, such as Dell Inc. turned it into more than a week-long affair. Neiman Marcus (No. 41) tried to surprise shoppers by holding a flash sale in the middle of the day, offering shoppers limited-time deals.
Here’s a look at what retailers tried to do to lure shoppers away from Amazon:
- Dell (No. 4): Dell is running a Black Friday in July sale, with discounts up to 50% off, as well as offering rewards members free expedited delivery. The promotion runs from July 6 to July 15 at 8 am Eastern.
- Macy’s Inc. (No. 6): For the second year in a row, Macy’s is holding a Black Friday in July sale. The retailer is offering free shipping on all orders Tuesday with no minimum threshold. Shoppers can receive an extra 25% off all orders online and in store from today through July 17.
- Best Buy Co. Inc. (No. 10): The electronics retailer is running a Big Deals Day sale on Tuesday until midnight Central, offering discounts on assorted electronics.
- Office Depot Inc. (No. 13): The office supplies retail chain is running a 48-hour sales event that ends at midnight Central on Tuesday, offering up to 70% off certain products.
- Wayfair Inc. (No. 16): Wayfair isn’t running a specific promotion to compete with Amazon Prime Day but the retailer did send emails to shoppers on Tuesday morning in the midst of Prime Day informing them “It’s prime time to save.”
- Kohl’s Corp. (No. 18): The mass merchants is offering shoppers an additional 30% off online orders of summer gear—including patio furniture, apparel, outdoor toys—through midnight Central on Tuesday.
- Sears Holdings Corp. (No. 19): Sears is holding an online-only Summer Splash sale, which runs Monday and Tuesday. It is offering free shipping with no minimum on hundreds of discounted items.
- Target Corp. (No. 20) has 40% off bedding and bath items on Tuesday only.
- Newegg Inc. (No. 21) holds its annual FantasTech deal Tuesday through Thursday.
- Williams-Sonoma Inc. (No. 23): Williams-Sonoma is offering free shipping on all orders with no minimum, through 11:59 Eastern today.
- Gap Inc. (No. 24) is offering 40% off all online orders from 12:00 am Eastern on Tuesday through 11:59 pm Eastern on Wednesday. Gap is also offering free five to seven day shipping on Tuesday only with no order minimum, across its Banana Republic, Gap, and Old Navy brands.
- Lowe’s Cos. Inc. (No. 25): The hardware retail chain is giving 10% off all online orders for members of its MyLowe’s rewards program Monday and Tuesday.
- L Brands Inc. (No. 26): Bath & Body Works is offering a buy one, get one free deal today only on Wallflowers Fragrance Plugs. La Senza and Henri Bendel are both having semi-annual sales that do not appear to be related to Prime Day.
- Bluestem Brands (No. 29): Bluestem Brands’ general merchandise e-retailer Gettington is running a Tuesday-only free shipping deal with a $49 minimum order.
- Overstock.com Inc. (No. 30) is running a double savings event through Thursday, offering up to 70% off plus free shipping with a $45 minimum order.
- Cimpress NV (No. 31): Stationary manufacturer Vistaprint is offering 25-40% off signs, postcards, and other items through July 12.
- J.C. Penney Co. Inc. (No. 33) is running a Cyber July online-only sale through July 16, offering an extra 30% off with no minimum order.
- Toys R Us Inc. (No. 38) is offering 20% off everything online with some exclusions for 36 hours. The discounts end at 6 a.m. Eastern on Wednesday.
- GameStop Corp. (No. 42) is offering free two-day shipping on orders over $50 on Tuesday.
- Shutterfly Inc. (No. 46) is offering 30% off orders from $1-$48.99, 40% off $49-$98.99, 50% off $99+ until July 12 at 11:59 Pacific.
- Estee Lauder (No. 47): The fragrance manufacturer is offering a free gift with any $45 purchase on Tuesday.
- Lands’ End (No. 49) is holding a 20% off sale and clearance items through 11:59 p.m. Central on Wednesday.
- J. Crew Group Inc. (No. 50): The apparel brand is offering 30% off select full-price items online-only from Tuesday through July 13 at 11:59 pm Eastern.
- Restoration Hardware (No. 51) is running an RH The Members program ($100 annually) promotion for 25% off everything and an additional 20% off sale. It’s holding its home furnishings event through July 13, with savings of 20-60% on bed and bath linens, pillows and throws, drapery and hardware and select rugs and decor.
- B. Mason Co. Inc. (No. 54): The office products retailer is holding a “one day furniture blowout” with up to 80% off.
- Dick’s Sporting Goods (No. 56): Summer sale up to 50% off apparel, footwear and outdoor gear. Online-only coupon for $20 off a $100 purchase, ending Tuesday at 11:59 p.m. Pacific.
- Chewy Inc. (No. 57): The online pet retailer, now owned by PetSmart (No. 365), says consumers will “save 20% today” when they set up their first autoship order. Typical autoship savings are 5%.
- Musician’s Friend Inc. (No. 58): The musical instruments retailer touts the “hottest coupon of the year” on its site, for 10%, 15% and 20% off select gear with a coupon code through Wednesday, plus 8% back in rewards for its free loyalty program, Backstage Pass.
- 1-800-Flowers.com Inc. (No. 59): Passport Day, a one-day sale (Tuesday), features 25% off select gifts, plus free shipping and no service charge with the e-retailer’s Celebrations Passport membership, which typically costs $29.99 a year, but Tuesday is offered at $19.99. The program gives members free shipping and no service charge for a year across the retailer’s brands. 1800Flowers.com is also giving away prizes Tuesday, such as a $25 gift card to Restaurant.com for the first 1,000 members who make a purchase on Tuesday.
- PVH Corp. (No. 60): Calvin Klein, owned by PVH, is holding a one-day, semi-annual sale on Tuesday that promotes an extra 60% off and free shipping sitewide. Tommy Hilfiger has a 30% off sale on select styles with “today only” free shipping on U.S. ground orders.
- Abercrombie & Fitch Co. (No. 61): Abercrombie’s teen apparel brand Hollister is holding a Tuesday-only sale offering jeans for $24, as well as free shipping with any jeans purchase.
- iHerb Inc. (No. 63): The nutritional supplements retailer is offering 10% off select Ayurveda and Ayurvedic Herbs items through Wednesday.
- Ralph Lauren Media LLC (No. 64): Ralph Lauren is offering shoppers who spend $150 or more a $25 gift card; shoppers who spend $250 or more a $50 gift card; shoppers who spend $500 or more a $125 gift card; and shoppers who spend $1,000 or more a $250 gift card through 11:59 p.m. Pacific on Tuesday.
- Cabela’s Inc. (No. 65): Cabela’s is offering $5 shipping on all online orders over $99 through 11:59 p.m. Eastern on Thursday.
- American Eagle Outfitters Inc. (No. 67): The apparel brand is offering 30% off plus free shipping through the end of the day on Tuesday. The two-day promotional event started on Monday at 6 a.m. Eastern.
- Bed Bath & Beyond Inc. (No. 68): PersonalizationMall.com, which Bed Bath & Beyond acquired for $190 million in cash last November, offered 30% off sitewide through the end of Tuesday.
- Barnes and Noble Booksellers Inc. (No. 69): The bookseller is offering 10% off all online orders of $35 or more and 15% off all online orders of $60 or more through Wednesday.
- Crate and Barrel (No. 78): The home furnishings retailer touts 20% off bedding, mattresses and box springs; 50% off outdoor furniture; and 40% off select outdoor entertaining as “limited time” offers. Shoppers also can get 10% off full-price items if they sign up to receive the company’s emails.
- Hudson’s Bay Co. (No. 81): The retail group’s flagship Hudson’s Bay is offering free shipping with no minimum purchase on Tuesday only as well as $20 off all orders of $150 or more; $30 off orders of $200 or more; and $40 off orders of $250 or more. Lord & Taylor is offering 30% off and free shipping plus an additional $25 off all online orders of $175 or more through Tuesday at 11:59 p.m. Eastern.
- Belk Inc. (No. 89): The apparel retailer is holding a Black Friday in July sale that began Tuesday and runs through Thursday.
- VF Corp. (No. 91): VF Corp.’s Nautica apparel brand is offering free shipping on all online orders with no minimum order through 11 p.m. Eastern Wednesday.
- 1-800 Contacts Inc. (No. 93): The eyewear retailer offered free expedited shipping on all orders of over $150 for 24 hours on Tuesday.
- Microsoft Corp. (No. 95): MicrosoftStore.com ran a one-day sale Tuesday offering 27-50% off video games and other electronic equipment.
- Chico’s FAS Inc. (No. 97): The apparel brand is offering free two-day shipping with no minimum order through the end of Tuesday.
- Eddie Bauer LLC (No. 98): The apparel brand held a one-day sale offering shoppers 50% off their online purchases.
- MidwayUSA (No. 101): The hunting and outdoor gear retailer is giving shoppers $10 off orders of $100 or more from 3 a.m. Central Tuesday through 2:59 a.m. Central Wednesday.
Internet Retailer editors Tracy Maple, James Melton, Fareeha Ali, Allison Enright and Jessica Young contributed.Favorite