What you can expect to learn?
Here are some of the things you can learn from this report:
- How the 500 leading North American retailers rank by online sales, 1 to 500
- The Performance Score of each of the Top 500, a rating exclusive to Internet Retailer that takes into account a retailer’s online growth, how well it competes online with competitors in its category, and its mobile and social prowess.
- Online sales as a percentage of total retail sales in 15 merchandise categories
- An in-depth look at Amazon’s sales growth, selection and sales by category
- Effective strategies for competing against Amazon
- How a few store-based retailers are bucking the trend and growing web sales quickly
- Which five big companies dragged down Top 500 growth online
- How fast-growing newcomers are differentiating themselves from giants like Amazon
- Which merchandise categories are growing the fastest online? Which ones the slowest?
- How many store-based retailers are adopting such omnichannel strategies as shipping web orders from stores
- How many shoppers belong to Amazon Prime, their demographics and what they buy
- Which Top 500 retailers have been acquired, by whom and why
Who would benefit from this report?
Types of business professionals who have purchased this report in the past:
- Owners, e-commerce directors and marketing executives at any retail business
- Organizations that invest in retail businesses
- Consulting firms that advise retailers
- Vendors that sell technology and services to retailers
How can this information help my business?
Here are some ways this report can help your business move forward:
- Retailers of all kinds can benchmark their online sales growth against similar companies (web-only, retail chain, cataloger, consumer goods manufacturer) and against retailers selling similar merchandise
- The rankings allow for a comparison of any retailer to others in its category, by rank and by Internet Retailer’s proprietary Performance Score that assesses a retailer’s overall e-commerce success
- By describing strategies that are working—and not working—in retail today
- By providing background on growth in online versus total retail sales, and the kinds of companies that are growing the fastest
- Understanding the product categories that are growing fast online, and those that are not, can help you make decisions on what to sell and how
- Retail chains can learn which omnichannel strategies competitors are employing to fulfill online orders more effectively and to sell more to store shoppers equipped with data from web research