2019 Online Marketplaces Report
This report highlights how the global leaders—and the merchants selling on them—are accelerating growth.
The proliferation of marketplaces in retail is hard to ignore: The top 100 marketplaces sold $1.66 trillion worth of goods in 2018, according to Internet Retailer estimates. Gross merchandise sales on these sites account for 95% of global marketplace sales and 58% of the $2.86 trillion global ecommerce market.
For the first time last year, Internet Retailer researched and analyzed the top 75 pure and hybrid online marketplaces around the world. This year, we expanded the analysis to the top 100 marketplaces—an indication of how important this area of online retailing has become.
The fourth edition of Internet Retailer’s Online Marketplaces Report dives into why the industry is growing and how it has become an integral part of ecommerce. The report mines data from the second-ever Internet Retailer Online Marketplaces Databases and analyzes the top 100 marketplaces in the world.
- View this reports Table of Contents
- An overview of the global online marketplaces, with data on how much the market grew in 2018
- Rankings of the top 100 online marketplaces ranked by third-party GMV
- Growth rates of the top 10 global marketplaces
- Data on the top 10 U.S. marketplaces, including 2018 growth
- Analysis of U.S. marketplaces, including an in-depth look at Amazon
- An analysis of how marketplaces that sell in a particular category are growing
- A look into the strategies behind retailers launching marketplaces
- An exclusive consumer survey
- An exclusive survey of marketplace sellers
- Branding strategies for Amazon sellers
- 30+ charts