The gross value of goods sold on eBay Inc.’s U.S. marketplace was $34.58 billion in 2016, a relatively weak 3.4% growth rate from $33.44 billion in 2015, the online marketplace reported Wednesday.
As a comparison, U.S. nonstore sales grew 12.8% in the fourth quarter, according to U.S. Commerce Department figures. Nonstore sales occur mainly on the web, but also include categories of retail sales that are declining, such as mail and phone orders, and door-to-door sales. The Commerce Department is scheduled to release 2016 and fourth quarter e-commerce sales data on Feb. 17.
The gross value of goods sold on eBay Inc.’s global marketplaces, including the U.S., was $83.76 billion in 2016, up 2.5% from $81.70 billion in 2015, the online marketplace reported Wednesday. Excluding the impact of the strong dollar, global sales increased 5%.
For the fourth quarter ended Dec. 31, eBay’s U.S. gross merchandise volume was $9.14 billion, up 2.7% from $8.90 billion in the same period a year ago, eBay said.
The gross value of goods on eBay’s global marketplaces in Q4 grew 2.2% to $22.34 billion from $21.86 billion year over year. Excluding foreign currency exchange rates, global sales increased 5% in the quarter.
For the fourth quarter ended Dec. 31, eBay also reports:
- Net revenue grew 3.1% to $2.395 billion from $2.322 billion a year ago.
- Net income of $5.95 billion compared with $523.0 million. Excluding a $4.6 billion income tax benefit and an $800 million gain from selling its stake in MercadoLibre, net income is $601 million compared with $600 million in Q4 2015.
- The value of goods sold on eBay’s marketplaces, not including sales on online ticketing marketplace StubHub, grew 2% to $21.10 billion from $20.68 billion.
- StubHub’s gross merchandise volume was $1.24 billion, up 4.6% from $1.18 billion.
- The number of active buyers—those who have made a purchase on eBay in the past year—increased to 167 million from 162 million a year ago.
For 2016, eBay also reports:
- Net revenue of $8.979 billion, up 4.5% from $8.592 billion.
- Net income of $7.29 billion compared with $1.95 billion. Excluding the $4.6 billion income tax benefit and an $800 million gain from selling its stake in MercadoLibre, net income is $2.16 billion, down 3.1% from $2.23 billion in 2015.