The online-only merchant grew business-to-business sales 47%, to $43.2 million.
Shutterfly Inc., an online-only retailer of personalized products and photo books, reported a 12% increase in revenue for the third quarter, compared with the same quarter a year ago. Growth in Shutterfly Business Solutions, its business-to-business unit, and mobile sales led the way.
Shutterfly Business Solutions saw its revenue jump by 47%. In the B2B segment, president and CEO Chris North said: “We were successful in winning follow-along contracts from key clients where our ability to execute on personalized print and digital communications at scale resulted in additional programs and volumes.”
Purchases made on mobile grew at a double-digit rate, representing 24% of overall Shutterfly brand revenue in the quarter, North said last week during a conference call with analysts. In September, the company launched new Shutterfly mobile apps on iOS and Android. North said improvements in the new versions of the apps include the ability to create and purchase cards and stationery, which is Shutterfly’s largest category by annual revenue. The iOS app also adds a new photo book creation experience that allows users to create a photo book. Both apps also allow customers to automatically upload their photos and to easily create personalized products.
For the third quarter ended Sept. 30, Shutterfly, No. 150 in the 2017 B2B E-Commerce 300, reported:
- Net revenue for Shutterfly Business Solutions totaled $43.2 million, a 47% increase over $29.5 million.
- Net revenue totaled $187.3 million, a 12% increase compared with $167.5 million in Q3 2015.
- Net loss was $29.2 million, compared to a net loss of $63.1 million.
For the nine months ended Sept. 30, the retailer reported:
- Net revenue for Shutterfly Business Solutions was $96.9 million, up 81.8% from $53.3 million in the same period last year.
- Net revenue totaled $573.0 million, up from $511.3 million.
- Net loss was $75.1 million, down from a net loss of $132.0 million for the year-earlier period.
For more information on Shutterfly’s Q3 earnings click here.Favorite