Travelers on the go rely on their smartphones to book last minute hotel stays, according to Criteo’s new study “Travel Flash Report.” The study is based on Criteo’s 1,000-plus worldwide travel advertising clients, including both travel suppliers, such as airline brands, and online travel agencies (OTAs), such as travel aggregator sites.

60% of hotel bookings made off of an OTA website with less than 24 hours between the booking and check in are conducted on a smartphone, according to the study. 7% are made via tablet and 33% desktop. For hotel suppliers, 30% of their last-minute bookings on the site are made via smartphone, 11% tablet and 59% desktop. This data does not includes app bookings.

In fact, as time gets shorter between when a consumer books a hotel and plans to check in, the more likely it becomes the booking will be made via a smartphone for both OTA websites and supplier websites.

15% of hotel bookings off of an OTA mobile site are made via smartphone when check-in is more than 12 weeks away, 17% when it’s four to 12 weeks away, 23% one to four weeks, 29% two to seven days, 39% for 24 to 48 hours, and 60% for when check-in is less than 24 hours away.

For hotel bookings off of a supplier’s mobile site, 6% are made via smartphone when check-in is more than 12 weeks away, 7% via smartphone for both four to 12 weeks way and one to four weeks away, 11% via smartphone two to seven days, 13% for 24-48 hours, bumping up to 30% for less than 24 hours away.

advertisement

In general, consumers use mobile to book via an OTA more than via a supplier.  Of all bookings made via a mobile site for online travel agencies in the U.S. in Q1 2016, 32% were made via a smartphone and 8% via tablet, for a total of 40% of mobile bookings. For suppliers, mobile accounts for 18% of online bookings, 11% smartphone and 7% tablet.

Mobile accounted for 29% of travel bookings in the U.S. in Q1 2016. This includes smartphone and tablet bookings via browsers, and does not include apps. The worldwide average is 27%.

For all mobile travel bookings, 57% were made in app and 43% via mobile web in Q1 2016, according to the study.

Broken down by hotel vs. flight, 81% of mobile hotel bookings on an OTA mobile site are made via smartphone and 19% are made via tablet. 53% of flight bookings on an OTA mobile site are made via smartphone and 47% are made via tablet.

 

advertisement

Subscribe Today to Mobile Strategies 360 and receive exclusive data. Not only will you get the latest information on the rapidly changing mobile industry, you will also receive Mobile Market Insights a free monthly overview on the market. These fact sheets are filled with data and statistics to help you identify opportunities and get a jump on the competition. Mobile Market Insights is available only to Mobile Strategies 360 subscribers. Once you enter your free subscription, click on the link for your free download.

 

Be sure to follow us on Twitter and LinkedIn and be the first to know when new Mobile Strategies 360 content is published. 

Favorite