The merchants behind the top 25 mobile shopping apps are a Who’s Who of e-commerce and m-commerce heavy hitters, according to the inaugural App Annie & Internet Retailer Mobile Commerce App Index. App Annie is a mobile app analytics firm that tracks 600,000 apps via its proprietary analytics for 55,000 companies, including 90% of the top 100 site and app publishers. App Annie also tracks a variety of metrics on 4.2 million apps for its Store Stats data offering; the firm has tracked 60 billion app downloads and more than $17 billion in app revenues.
For the index, App Annie examined the apps of merchants in the 2014 Internet Retailer Mobile 500 and ranked them by total number of downloads (smartphone and tablet) in the Apple App Store and in the Google Play Android store during the first quarter of 2014. Following are the top 25 mobile shopping apps including retailer name and rank in the Internet Retailer Mobile 500:
- Amazon.com Inc., No. 2.
- Groupon, No. 5.
- Walgreen Co., No. 31.
- Cartwheel from Target Corp., No. 36.
- Etsy Inc., No. 53.
- Wal-Mart Stores Inc., No. 4.
- Target Corp., No. 36.
- Amazon Local from Amazon.com, No. 2.
- Apple Store from Apple Inc., No. 1.
- LivingSocial Inc., No. 95.
- Zappos from Amazon.com, No. 2.
- zulily Inc., No. 72.
- Costco Wholesale Corp., No. 14.
- Best Buy Co. Inc., No. 24.
- JackThreads.com, No. 88.
- The Home Depot Inc., No. 33.
- Sam’s Club from Wal-Mart Stores, No. 4.
- Gilt Groupe, No. 10.
- Lowe’s Cos. Inc., No. 116.
- Joss & Main, No. 37.
- CVS Caremark Corp., No. 89.
- Macy’s Inc., No. 26.
- PINK Nation from Victoria’s Secret Direct, No. 39.
- Victoria’s Secret Direct, No. 39.
- H&M, No. 177.
Consumers today access the web on mobile devices more through apps than the web, and for a variety of reasons, says Marcos Sanchez, an analyst and vice president at App Annie.
“Most significantly, the mobile app experience is so much richer than a mobile web site,” Sanchez says. “People love downloading apps, which allow them to engage with their smartphones in so many different ways.”